6 great content marketing resources
If you’re trying to build a solid web presence, the term content marketing will have presented itself more than once. You understand it’s important, but where should you start? A Google search will produce a seemingly unlimited number of links. With all of the resources available, sorting through the good, the bad, and the ugly has probably left you exhausted and maybe discouraged.
To save you the time and the effort, I’ve sorted through the best-of-the-best content marketing resources and provided you with an extensive list to simplify your learning.
A search through the following sites will yield multiple content marketing resources that cover strategies, case studies, tools, templates, and explanations of each in easy-to-follow examples. A comprehensive library at your fingertips – we’ve chosen the most informative articles to serve as your content marketing “guides” from each site.
1. Neil Patel
Widely considered the definitive voice on content marketing, Neil Patel provides his readers with actionable tips to create better content, generate leads, and build web traffic in every post. He began his entrepreneurial endeavours at the age of 16, and since then he has developed and perfected his techniques to the extent that he is now a multi-millionaire. If you have questions about content creation, Neil has the answer.
Here are 3 great posts to get you fired up to get started:
• How 4 Startups Successfully Launched Their Business Through Content Marketing http://neilpatel.com/2016/04/04/how-4-startups-successfully-launched-their-business-through-content-marketing/
• 11 Tools to Help Launch Your First Content Marketing Campaign http://neilpatel.com/2016/05/31/11-tools-to-help-launch-your-first-content-marketing-campaign/
• How to Create Content That Outranks Your Competitor’s Content http://neilpatel.com/2016/05/03/how-to-create-content-that-outranks-your-competitors-content/
As leaders in inbound marketing (another term for content marketing), HubSpot offers services and software to marketers. But, their best benefit comes in the form of a variety of comprehensive, informative downloadable guides, webinars, and articles that explain the ins and outs of inbound marketing. With a full content library, they expose every detail and facet of how to make content work for you. Although only a beginning, these articles should be bookmarked:
• Content Marketing Strategy: A Comprehensive Guide for Modern Marketers blog.hubspot.com/marketing/content-marketing-strategy-guide
• 4 Mistakes to Avoid When Scaling Your Content Marketing http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/scaling-content-mistakes
• How to Write a Blog Post: A Simple Formula + 5 Free Blog Post Templates http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/how-to-write-blog-post-simple-formula-ht
3. Content Marketing Institute
Founded by Joe Pulizzi, the Content Marketing Institute is the leading organization for education and training in this skillset. Now an Inc. 500 company, their offerings include “Chief Content Officer, a bi-monthly magazine and the “Content Marketing World” and “Intelligent Marketing Conference” content-focused events. The invaluable resources on their site will take you from beginning to advanced content marketing. Content is easy to read and will provide you with unlimited knowledge. These articles are among their best:
• A Guide to Creating Content in the Formats Your Audience Loves http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2014/06/guide-creating-content-in-formats-your-audience-loves/
• Effective Content Marketing: 5 Steps to Track Your Efforts http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2014/07/effective-content-marketing-track-efforts/
• How to Build Social Media Into Your Content Marketing Processes http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/2014/06/build-social-media-content-marketing-processes/
• Content Marketing Framework: Target Audience http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/audience/
Curata is a platform that serves corporate giants such as Xerox and Cisco. Their services help clients with content strategy and distribution, and their blog proves why they are an award winning company. Each of their articles is a reliable resource that covers metrics, promotion strategies, and curation tools to get you started with everything you need to know. The following articles include templates, a simple explanation of metrics, and helpful strategies for creating consistent content.
• The Content Marketing Pyramid: A Strategy For Generating More with Less http://www.curata.com/blog/the-content-marketing-pyramid-how-to-generate-more-with-less/ (this is one of my favourite tips!)
• How to Determine Your Content Marketing ROI http://www.curata.com/blog/determine-content-marketing-roi/
• Content Marketing Editorial Calendar Templates: The Ultimate List http://www.curata.com/blog/content-marketing-editorial-calendar-templates-the-ultimate-list/
Founded by Neil Patel (the same one as above), QuickSprout educates its clients on how to target their audience, create effective blog posts, and streamline content creation. Each article provides actionable tips with a downloadable cheat sheet. You can create a complete content-marketing library with the resources provided on this site. Start with the following articles:
• The Advanced Guide to Content Marketing https://www.quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-content-marketing/
• 6 Unconventional Tips to Create Content Faster https://www.quicksprout.com/2016/05/23/6-unconventional-tips-to-create-content-faster/
• 11 Tools That Will Save You Time with Content Marketing https://www.quicksprout.com/2016/04/18/11-tools-that-will-save-you-time-with-content-marketing/
As an offline publication, Forbes has more than made its mark in the business world. Online, they continue that tradition by offering insightful articles from business thought leaders and respected internet entrepreneurs. While not solely focused on content marketing, the content that they put out on this topic is excellent. Here are some top reads.
• Product Marketing Vs Content Marketing: Which Is Better and Why? http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysondemers/2016/05/28/product-marketing-vs-content-marketing-which-is-better-and-why/
• How To Beat Your Competition With Content Marketing http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysondemers/2016/05/16/how-to-beat-your-competition-with-content-marketing/
• 7 Questions To Help Kickstart Your Content Marketing http://www.forbes.com/sites/miketempleman/2016/04/30/7-questions-to-help-kickstart-your-content-marketing/
• Quick Content Marketing Strategies That Drive Leads http://www.forbes.com/sites/miketempleman/2016/03/31/quick-content-marketing-strategies-that-drive-leads/
This is a vast subject, but it doesn’t have to be complicated. In the age of internet marketing, content is not beneficial it is crucial. Your social media strategies, your email marketing strategies, and your SEO strategies will fail if they are not surrounded by strong content.
The resources provided in this article are the best places to start in your research efforts.